Friday, December 30, 2016

Faves of 2016: Nico's Picks



From now til the end of the year, we're counting down some of our favorite books of the year. Today, Nico's wrapping things up.


Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina (see our posts here)
This is a book about finding your way even when the world around you is chaotic. Nora is figuring out life after high school in the midst of the Summer of Sam and an increasingly dangerous family situation. I  loved the voice and the pacing of this book SO much. Truly truly truly an un-put-downable page turner.


Archie: Vol. One, The New Riverdale by Mark Waid, Fiona Staples, Annie Wu and Veronica Fish  (see our full review here)
This is such a fun reboot of the classic series with gorgeous art. It was recommended to me by a teen and I will now be watching out for all the new volumes.

Bone Gap by (see our posts here)
I am late on this and a couple other selections on my top ten. The world building in this is magical and unsettling. Entering this book felt like being woven into another world for a bit.

Exit, Pursued by Bear by E.K. Johnston 
Hermione is one of my favorite narrators of the year. She is someone who people look up to and the kind of person who makes lifelong friends easily. She's also someone who was sexually assaulted at camp and is dealing with the fallout of the incident. This book felt very real and important.


Ghost by Jason Reynolds (see our full review here)
Super fast and engaging start of a new series about the members of a track team. Also, as usual, Reynolds gives all his characters the kinds of problems and family issues that real teens will identify with.

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (see our full posts here)
Despite the fact that I normally read contemporary realistic fic, Ruta Sepetys is one of my favorite authors. She writes historical fiction in a way that is immediate and alive.

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera (see our full review here)
This was a debut that just knocked me out. The structure of the book is so unusual and well done that it was unlike anything else I read this year. Silvera only reveals what he wants to and it means that the reader is basically held hostage by this book from page one to the last page because you have to know what is going to happen next.

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
This had some of my favorite world building of any book I've read recently. This quest to find family, friendship and to reclaim your own powers is so exciting and cinematic that if it doesn't get turned in to a movie SOON, I don't know what Hollywood is thinking!

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley (see our full review here)
John Corey Whaley writes some of my favorite characters ever. I love the friendships and the Star Trek: The Next Generation. This is one that I know I will reread often.
You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan (see our full review here)
I am a huge fan of both of these authors and reading this was a highlight of my summer. In the course of one week this book contains  broken hearts, amazing kisses,gallery openings, picnics and two new friends who are about to have the best week ever.

No comments: