Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Faves of 2016: Megan's Picks



 From now til the end of the year, we're counting down some of our favorite books of the year. Today we are showcasing Megan's picks.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
An incredibly important book about what it is like to live in America when you feel outside of and persecuted by mainstream society. As a librarian I don’t own many books and I buy even fewer new books. When I finished Between the World and Me I immediately picked up my phone to order it, as it’s a text I know I’ll want to revisit over and over.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
I’m all about a bad ass girl who can appreciate an extra frilly dress and this series about a lady assassin has all that, plus non-annoying romances. Basically it’s everything you could want from high fantasy.

Princeless by Jeremy Whitley
Princess Adrienne is tired of waiting around for a prince to save her. So she takes her dragon, makes a new friend, and sets off on adventure of her own. A really fun new look at classic fairytales.

Saving Hamlet by Molly Booth
A book for the theater nerds! Emma is getting her shot at impressing her long time crush by being unexpectedly promoted to stage manager on her school’s production of Hamlet. The most unexpected part of the job, however,  is having to balance her high school play with time traveling trips  back the Shakespeare’s England and the Globe theater.
A fun look at how amazing your first few months of college life can be when you’re living on your own for the first time and meeting people from completely different life circumstances.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- I absolutely love fairytale. This one features a cranky and completely flawed main character, which makes me like her much more than your standard perfect fairytale heroine. There’s a ton of focus on female friendships ,which is always appreciated, and just enough romance to keep it interesting.

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson (see our full review here)
What if the villain isn’t actually villainous? This graphic novel is amazing adventure following a shape shifter and her mad scientist of a boss as they attempt to prove that not every hero is heroic.

Lily and Dunkin by Donna Gephart
This book made me happy and hopeful in the best possible way as it documents the growing friendship of a trans girl and a boy who struggles with mental illness, who find out they are not quite so alone in the world. 

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
Three sisters, each with a special gift, are raised to be queen of their island nation, but only one can actually assume the crown. To do so she much murder her two sisters using her particular gift. On the night of the girl’s 16th birthday the game begins, but each sister is hiding a secret that could lead to her downfall. This fantasy novel takes sibling rivalry to a whole other level and I absolutely couldn’t put it down. After a surprise twist and a cliffhanger of an ending, I’m anxiously awaiting the 2nd book in this series.




Undertow by Michael Buckley
This was suggested to me with the description of Twilight, but with mermaids" and it not only completely lived up to that description, but also hooked (some pun intended) me immediately.

No comments: