Monday, November 7, 2016

Middle School Monday: My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger


Teen reviewer Anna is back with a look at one of her all time books!

My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger

The story features three main characters-- TC, Ale, and Auggie. They have an interesting dynamic. TC and Auggie are as close as brothers. TC is trying to get Alejandra (Ale) to fall in love with him. Ale is playing hard to get. And Auggie is in love with a boy in his school, though he doesn't even realize it. This novel is written through letters, emails, sticky notes, normal narration, play bills-- almost every kind of note you can think of. It beautifully weaves together the intricacies of first love, friendship, and family.

This is a heart-warming must-read! I literally had to set it down a couple times and remember to breathe because I was just overwhelmed by cuteness from all sides. Another aspect of this book not conveyed in the summary: IT IS SO FUNNY. I laughed out loud multiple times (I never do this at books)!

Also, are you sick of the "where are the parents?" trope in YA lit? Well, then you've come to the right place, because the parents are involved! And they have a great relationship with the kids! And it's wonderful! 

On a scale of one to ten, I would give this book eleven stars.

 More to read:

Teen Review: My Most Excellent Year

Middle School Monday: To Catch a Cheat by Varian Johnson

Middle School Monday: Perfect Shot by Debbie Rigaud

Middle School Monday: Drama by Raina Telgemeier






No comments: