Monday, October 31, 2016

Teen Review: Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier



We are welcoming a brand new teen reviewer today. Mary is here to tell us about a title many of our teens will be excited about:

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier


I had a dastardly cold for quite a bit. Every time I kicked it, it came back. I personally do not like to read when I'm sick--it'll either give me a headache or make me associate  books with feeling pretty darn gross. But then I remembered I had gotten this graphic novel at the National Book Festival, and figured that I could handle mostly looking at pictures made for, well, a younger demographic than me. 


I was not disappointed. It was just like watching one of my old Monstober Disney Channel Original Movies, like Twitches, or all four Halloweentown movies--you know the ones. This graphic novel gave me all the warm fuzzies of October within a short time span.


The book itself is fairly hard to summarize, because it is short enough to finish in an hour or two. But, that doesn't mean I can't try... It follows around a girl who has to move because her younger sister is fairly sick. But, the place they move to is inhabited by, you guessed it, ghosts! The story focuses on Day of the Dead celebrations as opposed to Halloween which I was happy to see because it's something different from many books I’ve read.  


I'd highly recommend that if you want to feel like a kid again and read a cute and magical story, pick this one up

More to read: 

Middle School Monday: Sisters by Raina Telgemeier

Middle School Monday: Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Middle School Monday: Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova

Sunny Side Up by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm



No comments: