Monday, June 6, 2016

Top 5 of 2016 (so far): Megan Kicks This Off

Librarian Megan gets the ball rolling on our annual look at our favorites of the year (so far)! Can you believe it's June already?

I’m a sucker for a fairytale retelling, and this take on Beauty and the Beast brings in elements from high fantasy fairy lore as well, making it a really complex, thrilling story. The forbidden romance between the human heroine and a fey High Lord hero also doesn’t hurt. The second in this trilogy just came out (A Court of Mists and Fury), but the third hasn’t even been NAMED yet!

The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
This book had been suggested to me for several months before I actually got to it, and all I can say is what was I WAITING FOR! Set at the outset of World War II this story about a girl named Ada, with a minor physical disability, whose cruel mother worsens the condition by essentially keeping Ada prisoner. Ada takes her fate into her own hands and gets herself and her brother evacuated to the English country side in anticipation of Germany bombing London.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (see our full review here)
There have been so many dystopian novels out in the past few years that I’m a little bit over them. For me to pick up a dystopian novel in the first place AND finish it AND pick up the second in the series is pretty much unheard of recently. Well I did all three with Red Queen and its follow up Glass Sword. This dystopian novel has a heavy dose of magic, which helps it feel fresh, as well a strong, though sometimes unlikable (which makes her feel real and relatable), main character.  

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Someone recently reminded me of the Dragon Riders of Pern, a science fiction/fantasy series that I had devoured in my early teens. I decided to give the first in the series a reread and found that the books (which were old when I read them in the mid 90s) totally held up, with a quick plot and engaging storyline.

Exit, Pursued by Bear by E.K. Johnstone
This was so, SO GOOD. After being the victim of a horrible crime main character Hermione struggles with being defined by other people’s perceptions of her. She ultimately chooses to be true to how she defines herself and relates to the world.

No comments: