Thursday, June 9, 2016

Best of 2016 (so far): Neeka's picks



Our teen reviewer Neeka has been catching up with some older picks from both the adult and YA collections!
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates: This book is a compact, bite-sized glimpse into how racism shapes America, and how America shapes racism. I can genuinely say that the prose is perhaps the best I've ever read. The story of the struggle for black liberation is weaved in the form of a letter to the author's son and it is, in a word, powerful.

Room by Emma Donahue may sound familiar: that's because it was adapted into an Oscar-winning movie last year. The book’s unique, engrossing point of view is that of a five-year-old kidnapped boy.

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (see our full review here) is the type of book that gave me the feeling that I'd been slapped in the face after finishing it. My heartbeat didn't regulate for a long time afterwards. If for nothing else, read this book for the ending.

Going Rogue by Robin Benway is the sequel to teen spy novel Also Known As (see our full review here). I adore sassy teen spy fiction--a sub-genre in which it is difficult to find good books. Thankfully, this book can quell my sorrow for now. The character development expands in this book and made me more attached to the world crafted by Benway…which is a shame, as this is the final book in the series.

Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara Shepard is not at all a surprising choice for me, seeing as, at any given moment, about 20% of my brain is reserved for Pretty Little Liars. I'm usually not a fan of prologue books, but this one took us into the mind of Queen Psycho herself: Alison. (Just make sure not to read it before book 13, as there are some serious spoilers headed your way.)

No comments: