Monday, January 4, 2016

Top Tens of 2015: Biggest Hits



Happy New Year!!!!

Now that our top tens are out in the world, let's take a quick look back at what were the favorite books of the year according to our librarians, bloggers and teen reviewers:


All American Boys by Jason Reynolds, Brendan Kielyn (see our full review)
The timeliest book I read this year. In addition to dealing with racism and police brutality, it poses the question, “When do you stand up for what you know is right, especially if doing so hurts your closest friends? (from Lisa's Top 10)


Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War by Steve Sheinkin

Daniel Ellsberg, a one time government analyst risked it all to expose the US government’s involvement in the Vietnam War.  He brought to life the existence of a 7,000 page document which became known as the Pentagon Papers.

Sheinkin at his best! (from Maria's Top 10)


Simon vs. The Homo-Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (see all our posts)
I'm gifting this book to basically everyone this year because it is the ultimate pull-yourself-out-of-a-bad-day charm of a read, and who doesn't need that?

Simon and Blue's epistolary Tumblr based romance is so good hearted and real I kept thinking about it basically all year.

It's hard to believe this is a debut, I can't wait to read more from Ms. Albertalli. (from Nico's Top 10)


Bone Gap by Laura Ruby (see our full review)
A kidnapped girl, two brothers torn apart in their grief, a beekeeper who refuses to hide behind her veil and just enough magic to make you question what's real and what isn't. (from Kady's Top 10)


Carry On: The Rise of Simon Snow by Rainbow Rowell (see all our posts)
A wonderful new twist on your favorite wizarding tropes. After I finished this book, I hugged it to me very closely for a whole minute and then jumped right back in to reread all my favorite parts. It ruined me for all other books for at least a week. In a good way.  (from Katie's Top 10)


Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman (see the full review here)

If you’ve ever wondered what mental illness might possibly feel like, specifically paranoid schizophrenia, then journey inside Caden Brosch’s head in Shusterman’s National Book Award winner. Searing and unforgettable. (From Pat's Top 10)


Dumplin by Julie Murphy
Extra charming story of a teen girl refusing to conform to the role society sets for her. The title character also names her car, something I do and highly endorse. (from Megan's Top 10)


Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
I've been waiting for this book for what feel like forever! A perfect story about first loves, family and what it means to grow up. With some pretty cool illustrations too. (from Kady's Top 10)
 I’ll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
This book is so much more than just a delicious romance. It captures the essence of small town life, of struggling to pull yourself up or rebuild your life, and of finding something beautiful in the midst of a world of hurt and pain. Demetrios writes about these challenges gorgeously, but, yeah, it is also a very delicious romance. (from Katie's Top 10)


Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry (see all our posts)
I love that I can count on Katie McGarry for big cinematic blockbuster romances. This one is based around a motorcycle gang and it was exactly what I wanted in my summer read.

As I pointed out in my review, another thing I love about this book is that once the two main characters fall for each other, it's them against the world. They lean on each other as all sort of drama piles on top of them.

This is the beginning of a new series and I am super ready to read about more members of this family.
(from Nico's Top 10)


Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
My favorite Sarah Dessen in a long time, which is saying something. It has a resonance and core of truth and beauty that Sarah Dessen does better than just about anyone else. It was one of my favorite summer reads this year, but don’t hesitate to pick it up in the middle of winter. It’s meant to warm you.
(from Katie's Top 10)


The Walls Around Us  by Nova Ren Suma (see the full review here)
An engrossing, ghostly tale about class and justice. (from Librarian M's Top 10)


Adam Spencer Harris is one of my favorite characters of the year. He won my heart with his deep sensitivity. While struggling to control his OCD, Adam has to deal with a hoarder mom who’s receiving threatening letters, an anxious, needy little brother, AND a new love life. (from Lisa's Top 10)

No comments: