Monday, December 21, 2015

Top Tens in 2015: Katie's Quality Selections



Katie has been choosy this year...

2015 was a quality over quantity year in reading. As a result, you’ll find that my Top 10 looks suspiciously like Top 8. But less is more as they say, and these books are definitely more.

A wonderful new twist on your favorite wizarding tropes. After I finished this book, I hugged it to me very closely for a whole minute and then jumped right back in to reread all my favorite parts. It ruined me for all other books for at least a week. In a good way.

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
Can I admit I had a little trepidation going into this one? My expectations were so high, but what if it just had the feel of “been there, done that.” As usual, my worry was misplaced. Magnus’s tale as a Norse demigod somehow manages to blend perfectly with Riordan’s past world creations and still feel fresh and new.

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby (see our full review)
Definitely the wisest and strangest YA book I read this year. It manages to blend feminism and magical realism and romance and suspense ways that will stay with you for a long time. Here’s hoping my 2016 reading list includes more books like this that entertain, challenge, haunt, and enthrall.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: more motorcycle gang romances, please. At least as long as Katie McGarry is the brain behind the book. This one is pure fun.

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
My favorite Sarah Dessen in a long time, which is saying something. It has a resonance and core of truth and beauty that Sarah Dessen does better than just about anyone else. It was one of my favorite summer reads this year, but don’t hesitate to pick it up in the middle of winter. It’s meant to warm you.

 I’ll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
This book is so much more than just a delicious romance. It captures the essence of small town life, of struggling to pull yourself up or rebuild your life, and of finding something beautiful in the midst of a world of hurt and pain. Demetrios writes about these challenges gorgeously, but, yeah, it is also a very delicious romance.

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Kasie West writes breezy, fun romances that go down equally well with a hot chocolate by a fire or on a beach in the heat of summer. If you lament the lack of meet-cute rom-coms in the theatres these days (or think more leading men should wear Dr. Who t-shirts), this one is for you.

Cress by Marissa Meyer 
I know, I know. I’m a book / year behind in this series. I jumped on the bandwagon super late with the Lunar Chronicles but now I’m all in. These books are so much more than futuristic fairy tale retellings. Meyer has envisioned a future civilization that is so fascinating and complex and characters that are so brave and endearing that if, like me, you’ve been putting this one off, now is the time to change that.

No comments: