Friday, September 25, 2015

Author Interview: Katie McGarry Talks to Us About Riding Motorcycles and Writing Chemistry!


We are so excited to bring you an interview with one of our favorite YA authors! Thank you Katie McGarry for joining us!

Can you tell us a little bit about your most recent book, Nowhere But Here?
In Nowhere But Here, seventeen year old Emily spends the summer with her biological father who is part of a motorcycle club. While Emily is there, Oz is asked by Emily’s father to watch over her when a rival club is a threat to Emily’s safety.


While spending the summer together, Oz and Emily learn secrets about their parent’s past and through that they learn more about themselves and each other.

This book deals a lot with motorcycles and it’s clear you know your stuff. Did you ride motorcycles before writing this book? What are some of the weirdest things you’ve had to learn about because your characters are involved with them?

No, I have never driven a motorcycle, but I have ridden on the back of one.  :)

I hung out with a local motorcycle club in order to write Nowhere But Here. The club definitely knows how to throw a party and there was more than once that my cheeks turned bright red, but what I absolutely loved about the MC was how they cared for each other like family.

Your characters have some of the most incredible chemistry in YA! With Emmy and Oz, Haley and West, Rachel and Isaiah, and Echo and Noah, the energy between your characters could power a large country. How do you create such incredible sparks between your characters again and again?

For me, extremely amazing chemistry is powered by love and trust. Each of the characters you named above all found love and trust in each other. Without love and trust, they could kiss and that kiss would be great, but the love and trust is what makes it sizzle.

We love that many of your books give us callbacks to characters in previous novels. Can we look forward to seeing anyone we meet in
Nowhere But Here again?
Yes! The second book in the Thunder Road series is Walk the Edge (release date March 2016). This story focuses on Razor. Razor was a secondary character in Nowhere But Here. Emily, Oz, Chevy, Violet, Eli, Cyrus and more of the fabulous characters from Nowhere But Here return in Walk the Edge!

Your books have tons of family members, friends and schoolmates. Do you ever pull from

people you know as inspiration?
 I don’t use specific people I know for inspiration, but I do draw inspiration from my experiences and emotions. I have some of the best friends and family in the universe and it is because of them I have such faith, love and hope for the world. I write dark, gritty stories because there was a time when my life was complicated, but I learned that no matter how dark the circumstances, there is always hope.

Do you have any tricks for getting into your narrators’ heads? Like listening to music they’d like or anything like that?

 I am a HUGE music fan. In fact, there is a playlist at the end of all my books. A song that helped create the theme for Nowhere But Here is “Ride the Wind” by Poison. For Oz, I listened to music by Imagine Dragons and “Story of My Life” by One Direction made me think of Emily.


Who has been the most fun character to write?

Razor from Walk the Edge!

What books would fans of your books also enjoy?

 Simone Elkeles, Trish Doller, Miranda Kenneally, and Colette Ballard.

What have been your favorite parts of being a YA author so far?

Hearing from my readers is my favorite part of being a YA author. I write the books I needed when I was younger and I love hearing that my stories have touched the people who have read them.

Do you have a favorite place to write?

I love to write on my front porch.

What advice would you give a young writer?

I would suggest that they keep writing and never give up. The publishing industry can seem very huge, but I’m living proof that dreams do come true. Setbacks and failures are part of the road, but never give up!

No comments: