Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Top 5 in 2015... So Far: Nico's Books


Every June, we celebrate the year being half over by checking in with our reviewers and seeing what they've loved, so far. 


Today, Nico finishes up our lists with her top books:


Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (see more posts)I love this book so much. There is so much chemistry between the Blue and Simon even though they spend most of the book communicating only through email. It's sweet, funny and full of side characters that I loved too. This is one I'll keep on hand to cheer myself up on a bad day. 

Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero (see our full review here)

There are a couple on here that I totally meant to read last year and just never got to. I can't believe it took me so long to read Gabi's story. She is whip smart and hilarious even when life is anything but funny. Definitely wins the prize for the character I'd most like to be friends with in real life. I can't wait to see what's next for this author.

JANDY NELSON!!! Oh man, her writing is so beautiful, I almost can't handle it. There are so many moving pieces here: twins who don't speak anymore, a suffering artist, a broken English teen, first kisses, sculpture and more. In someone else's hands this might have been a mess, but Nelson weaves everything together into this amazing work of art. 

After The Sky is Everywhere I knew to expect big things from her next book and this book and oh man was I right. This book will knock you off your feet, it's so good. 

If you like yourself some Sherlock Holmes or other good-old-fashioned detectives, I don't know how you could help but love this book. It's was so much fun to read! I loved stepping into the world of Jackaby and Abigail. There's a ghost house keeper and a goose looking over the laboratory, I can't wait to go back here when the sequel comes out.

You know how many Nancy Drew mysteries there are? That's how many Abigain Rook mysteries I hope there will be some day!
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen 
Anytime there's a new Sarah Dessen book, you know you're in for a treat. This one is my favorite of her recent novels. There's some seriously intense family stuff, pizza, friendship, romance, and a girl finding ways to stop feeling invisible.

It's powerful stuff and a book I am still thinking about, for sure.

No comments: