Monday, December 29, 2014

Counting Down til 2015: Nico's Top Ten of 2014


Once again, I have to preface my Top Ten by saying that I AM BEHIND in my reading! I still have major titles by Maggie Stiefvater and Jandy Nelson to read. So they aren't on my Top Ten yet but it's not because I don't love them, it's cause I don't love them YET!

Okay, phew, I feel better with that out in the open. Now, here are my top titles of the year, in no particular order:

Ms. Marvel (vol. 1) by: G. Willow Wilson ; artist, Adrian Alphona (see our full review)
 Normally I'm not a super hero type of person unless it's an excuse to watch Tom Hiddleston on the big screen, but this is a super hero series to make me change my mind. Kamala is awesome, I loved her from about page 2 and the art of this book is absolutely gorgeous. Even if you think you don't like comics or super heroes don't miss out on Kamala! Her story is absolutely one of my favorite things I read this year.


Girls Like Us by Gail Giles (see our full review)
This is a book that you know going in to it is going to be about a heavy subject matter. No doubt about it, this is a book where awful things happen to people who don't deserve them. On the other hand, it's a book with a beautiful friendship between the two main girls. It's also a book where the characters change and grow in a major way during the course of the story. It was one I was definitely thinking about long after I finished the book.

100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith (see all our posts)
I was super late to the Andrew Smith train. This book blew me away. I loved the story of the two best friends and the story of the girl who finally noticed the fact that Finn's eyes are two different colors. Also, there's Finn and his dad's struggle to understand each other. Basically I loved the whole thing.

Also, look at that cover. It's so good.
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour (see all our posts and our interview with the author)
In a previous life before libarain-ing I loved working back stage in theater and had dreams of moving those skills to working behind a bigger screen. This book was exactly what I dreamed my life would be like, all finding the perfect piece for a set at estate sales and hanging out with the key grips.

Nina LaCour writes dreamy romantic lit and it is super hard to beat.
Fan Art by Sarah Tregay (see our full review)
I super loved the idea that this book dealt with the consequences of what happens when someone ships the main character with his best friend. It's a romance for the Tumblr age.
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (see our full review)
This book you guys. I don't normally love books in verse, I don't always read memoirs, NONE OF THAT MATTERED. This book is incredible- as I said before, it's a time machine disguised as a book. Open the front cover and prepare to be transported. This is a book that deserves to be absolutely COVERED in shiny award stickers.
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories edited by Stephanie Perkins (see our full review)

Do you love Hallmark Holiday TV movies? This book has something for you. Do you love irreverent or off kilter holiday movies? This book has something for you. Do you love very sad holiday tear jerkers? This book has something for you. Do you love dreamy winter themed stories? Or holiday romances? This delicious holiday treat was juuuust what I was looking for this winter.
Blind Spot for Boys by Justina Chen (see our full review)
Travel, romance and a family that loves each other even when things aren't going well. I didn't go to Machu Picchu this year, but I did read this book and that was pretty wonderful.
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater (see our full review)
You know how the rest of the Shiver Books super feel like the North West? All dreamy and foggy and...shiver-y? This book is LA all the way through. Hot and steamy, dirty and glam, Sinner is the perfect summer read. Also it features a musician with issues, which is my favorite (hello Where She Went and The Piper's Son) and Cole is suuuuuuuch a fun narrator. This is also an awesome audio, if that's your type of thing.
Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols
Jennifer Echols is sneakily becoming one of my most favorite writers. Her girls are nuanced and lead full lives outside of the boys they are interested in. This series is so delicious (and I've read all three books- so I can officially weigh in on the whole thing), if you are a fan of contemporary romance, The Superlatives is where it at. It's a series about three friends and they actually act like girls who are friends- they support each other and cheer each other on. Unlike some other series they aren't out to backstab or steal each other's boys, it's a very refreshing and fun set of books and I can't recommend them enough. Watch out for Most Likely to Succeed  and Biggest Flirts in 2015.

No comments: