Friday, August 29, 2014

Flashback Friday: Let's Go Back to The Nineties



We are already missing our fabulous teen reviewer, Mira, while she's on a semester abroad, but we're glad she's still sending us reviews! Today, she takes us back, to the last decade of the last millennium.... 
http://libcat.arlingtonva.us/iii/encore/record/C__Rb1383464__Sway+to+go__P0%2C1__Orightresult__X5?lang=eng&suite=cobalt
Ahhh…the 90s. Scrunchies. Dawson’s Creek. Big phones. As someone born in the late 90s, I learned all my historically accurate 90’s culture through Clueless. As many people do. For my 90’s historical fiction book I picked Way To Go by the wonderful Tom Ryan. I believe this is his debut book. Let’s do this! 

Way To Go is about a teenager named Danny who lives in a small town in Nova Scotia, Canada. His friends are totally opposite ends of the spectrum, and he kind of just floats in the middle. He also is gay, which everyone suspects but he doesn’t want to believe. After he gets a summer job and befriends a new girl working with him, he tries to prove to everyone that he’s straight. 

I don’t want to say too much else about the plot of the book, as it’s relatively short. It was a very easy read, I think I finished it in a couple hours. I loved the message of acceptance in this book, specifically of self acceptance. I think that’s something that is very hard for a lot of people, especially teens who are still trying to figure out who they are and where they fit in the world. The dialogue in the book made it more relatable, and the characters were extremely accessible. I almost wish the book was longer because the characters were so much fun to read. One of the best characters in the book is Danny’s younger sister, Alma. She is hilarious, constantly quoting movies and lightening the mood. Younger siblings are the best. 

For anyone looking for a short, summer read with strong characters and a moving plot, I would highly recommend this book. It’s too hot outside to not visit the air-conditioned library every week! 

No comments: