Monday, June 2, 2014

2014's Best Books: Katie's Top 5

Katie has one very eclectic top 5 with everything from the historical to the very creepy. The one thing holding them all together is great writing!

Going Over by Beth Kephart (see our full review)
I waited so long for this book and it still managed to exceed my expectations. Berlin, the 1980s, epic escape plans, heart-wrenching romance... what's not to love?

Took me awhile to get on board with this series, and now I almost wish I had held out longer because the next book seems so far away. It was recommended to me by a friend as a book to pick up when you're longing for the rich imagination of a series like Harry Potter. That friend was right.

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
While not strictly YA, you didn't think I would leave this off my list, did you? It's the year of Veronica and the awesome continues to culminate in this book. If you were a fan of the series or the movie, get yourself on the hold list for this one.

It took a Printz Award for this one to pop up on my radar, so I'm a year late to the party, but now I want everyone to join me. It's wicked smart, shockingly clever, and beautifully written. Read it and come up with your own adverbs and adjectives for this story within a story within a story...

The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen
High fantasy lovers, I have not forgotten you.  The Ascendance Trilogy wrapped up earlier this year and all I will say is that Jaron gets the send off he deserves. This was a brilliantly executed series from start to finish. I'll miss having it on my Best of List next year.

No comments: