Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Lit Spotlight: Falling in Love with Rereading

Getting ready for spring break travel? Katie suggests you revisit an old favorite

If you are a regular reader of this blog, this will come as no surprise to you: There are just so many great books being published all the time. We’re talking every week! And maybe you’re like me, and have your library visits down to a science that is based entirely around all the new books:

1. Pick up the delicious new books you have on hold.
2. Browse the new book display for any other delicious new books you failed to put on hold.
3. Check out all of the above books.
4. Go home and read.

And then there are the cases where a book proves to be so delicious that another step is added.

5. Buy a copy to reread whenever I want.http://libcat.arlingtonva.us/iii/encore/record/C__Rb1333518__Sanna+and+the+french+kiss__Orightresult__X5?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

And this is where things get tricky, because I always have the best of intentions. I want to reread. But (and isn’t there always a but?) I also need to keep up with new books to review and all the trilogies I’ve started and the next next big things, and rereading gets pushed on the back burner.

Last week I bought my third copy of Anna and the French Kiss, because new cover, you know? And then I had a long metro ride, and it was either reread Anna or cry my eyes out on the ride home reading a book about the war in Bosnia. I went with Anna. And I haven’t stopped smiling since.

I LOVE this book, guys. I love Anna and Etienne and their friends and Paris and the slow build of their friendship and romance and OH MAN. Just so good.

But more importantly, rereading Anna has renewed my love for the Not New Books on my shelf. I’ve suddenly remembered how much joy there is in coming back to your favorite characters and your favorite stories. How there is always something new--for example, there are so many good book and movie recommendations are worked into Anna that I need to explore. And that scene at Shakespeare & Company, how had I forgotten that?

So I’m compiling a whole list of books to reread in 2014. I wouldn’t call it a resolution, so much as a Really Great Idea. Here’s a list of books I can’t wait to reread--feel free to join me or read them for the first time (and then a second time because you know you’ll want to)
http://libcat.arlingtonva.us/iii/encore/record/C__Rb1390734__SThe+Diviners__Orightresult__X5?lang=eng&suite=cobalt

Lola and the Boy Next Door
by Stephanie Perkins (more on this author)
: You can’t read Anna and not immediately follow it up with Lola.

The Piper's Son
, Melina Marchetta (
see our posts): Two words: Thomas MacKee.

Fangirl
by Rainbow Rowell (see our posts)
: We all just read this for the first time a few months ago, but I assure you I am more than ready to get lost in this world of college dorms and fan fiction again STAT.

The Diviners
by Libba Bray (see more posts on this book)
: The sequel to this one is coming out later this year. I can’t wait to sink into this world of 1920s New York again.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith (see our full review)
: I have a long trans-Atlantic flight on the horizon. This is the ultimate trans-Atlantic flight book.


Okay For Now
by Gary D. Schmidt (see more posts on this book) : I can’t look at a picture of a bird without thinking of this book. It just resonated with me the first time around, and I’m confident the second time will be even better.

What’s on your 2014 reread list?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to re-reading the second book of the Mysterious Benedict Society series. I own the 1st and 3rd, and have re-read those many times. Now, I'm excited to see how much/little I remember of the second! These books have been good re-reads for me, even after I became older than the targeted audience.

Anonymous said...

Although The Help was a great book the first time, I have decided that it is not a good re-read. But most books are great re-reads! You pick up so much more, and it is always fun to see little hints or foreshadowing that you may not have picked up on the first time around.