Monday, December 30, 2013

Top 10 in 2013: Nico Wraps Things Up

This was a year where I really deeply loved a few books so much I wanted to give them to everyone I knew. These are my ten titles that I am very happy that 2013 brought us!

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (see our posts)
For me, 2013 was definitely the year of falling for Rainbow Rowell's books. It was also the first year that teens really started talking to me about the fan fiction they were reading and writing. So many teens that I talk to belong to some kind of fandom! In Fangirl these two things combined to bring the funny and touching story of Cath's first year at college to life.

It was the perfect book at the perfect time and because of that, it's my favorite of the year.
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (see our posts)
Of course, this one was like a hair behind in second place. When I saw the cover of this book, months before I read it, I just had the feeling that this was going to be something special. Eleanor and Park both got into my heart and wouldn't let me go. You will fall for these characters and worry about them and wonder about what their lives are like after the book closes.

This is the kind of book I want to wear on my sleeve, so that I can let people know how much I loved it and hope to find others who felt the same way.
Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (see our posts)
We hear a lot about "second-book syndrome" in series. The second book is the weak one, the filler one, the skippable one.... that is SO not the case in Dream Thieves. Every bit of this book had me holding tight to the cover to find out what would happen next. Stiefvater's writing is so fine, that you don't even see her putting the pieces down until suddenly they all click into place in front of you. It floored me and I can't wait for the next book!
Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan (see our full review)
I read this book in one gulp. I sat outside and read and read and read it until there weren't any more words. It's a hard one to explain (a narrator who is actually all the young men who died of AIDS in the eighties and nineties?), but I found it moving and full of light.

It's quick moving and you only get a glimpse into the lives of the characters, almost everything takes place within the span of 48 hours, but that was enough to make a major impression.
Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller  (see our full review)
Trish Doller is an author whose books are easy to recommend to teens who want to sink their teeth into characters. What's great about this one is that you get to know Callie's family as she is doing the same thing. She's dropped inside of this close knit community, where everyone has known everyone else's business since the dawn of time and she is a stranger in a strange land with you, the reader, along for the ride.

Callie is tough and independent and it's wonderful to see what might happen if she could learn to trust someone else enough to ask for help.
When You Were Here  by Daisy Whitney (see our full review)
I read this book on a plane and since it's a book that is about discovering how a new place can fill a place in your heart you didn't know was empty, I want to recommend that you read it on a plane too. Even if you have no travel plans, you will still want to read about Danny's trip to Tokyo after his mother's death.

This novel captures how it feels to travel someplace on your own and have the place slowly tell its secrets to you. Also there's the most fantastic tour guide of all time and it would be a serious shame if you missed out on meeting her. 


Infinityglass by Myra McEntire (see our full review)
If Hollywood was asking me what books I wanted to see on the big screen, I would say the Hourglass series with no hesitation! It's fun, there are big twists and adventures and some seriously fun super powers.

Each book in the series could pretty much stand alone, there's a different set of narrators and a different quest in each, but they come together into one very satisfying conclusion. It's Southern, full of super powers, kissing and good coffee, how could I not love this book?
Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore (see our full review)
For a novel with more magic than supernatural, I loved Daisy Goodnight's fun thrill ride. If  I could tune in to Daisy Goodnight solving crimes with the FBI each week at 8pm, I would be one happy girl.

There's ghosts and artifacts, fancy cars and mobsters also the Goodnights are one kick-butt family of women and I hope Rosemary Clement-Moore writes a book for every member of the family.


Dare You To by Katie McGarry (see our full review)
I read a lot of romances, my team knows that if there's kissing on the cover, I'm probably going to want to read it. Sometimes books have similar themes and tropes, but this one took those and spun them on their head. Ryan and Beth's romance was a standout in a series where I've enjoyed all the books. McGerry is quickly becoming one of my go-to recommendations for teens who come in looking for gritty and epic love stories.
Man Made Boy by Jon Skovron (see our posts)
This is a book that manages to weave together science fiction elements with fantasy and a cross country road trip; it's got incredible world building and it's a twist on the story of Frankenstein's monster. That's a mouthful for an elevator pitch, but when you put it all together with Skovron's touch for dialogue, you get something really special.

It's funny, weird and totally un-put-downable.


Tomorrow we'll look at the tallies and find out what TATAL's favorite books of the year were. We hope you've enjoyed our look at our favorites of the year and come away with LOTS of books to snatch off our shelves!

No comments: