Friday, December 27, 2013

Top 10 in 2013: Katie Doles Out Some Awards

Sure it's cool to win a Printz award or an Oscar, but the real honors are Katie's end of the year awards. See who's taking home the statuettes this year:

A book that just made me happy: 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (see our posts)
Combines everything I love about college and romance and finding your place and, well, being a fangirl. I plan on rereading very, very soon. Yes, already.


A perfect ending to one of the best trilogies I've ever read: 
Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
Every year I pick the latest Lumatere book as my favorite and every year I confess that words fail me when it comes to capturing everything I love about this series. Suffice it to say, Quintana is an immensely satisfying conclusion to this epic tale.


A book that surprised and wowed me (and made me want to go to Japan): When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney (see our posts)
This was my first Daisy Whitney book, but it won't be my last. Danny is such a wonderfully real protagonist. And his best friend Kana? I can only hope that everyone dealing with a broken heart and the loss of a parent has someone like her to explore the streets of Tokyo with.


A summer romance with substance:
This one was a tough decision. loved Crash Into You (see our full review)by the same author this year as well. Can we call it a tie? Katie McGarry has a knack for giving us terribly broken but impossible to break characters who manage to save themselves and each other often in the most dramatic and romantic of ways.


Historical fantasy oozing intrigue: 
Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers (see our full review)
The second book in His Fair Assassins trilogy is even darker and more engaging than the first. It was one of the darkest yet hopeful books that I read this year. LaFevers writes wonderfully courageous, complex, and unique female leads.


Contemporary fantasy unlike anything else you'll read this year: 
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (see our posts)
I love the Raven boys and Blue and the women of Fox Way. And I love a series that is constantly surprising and delighting and frustrating (in the best possible way, of course) me. I will never look at the hills and woods of rural Virginia the same way again.


A surprising serial killer standout:
The serial killer genre is not my usual jam as regular readers may know, but I picked this one up on Kady's recommendation in January and it stuck with me all year. In addition to the suspenseful plot, it explores socioeconomic dynamics (oh yes, there is a boy from the wrong side of the tracks), friendship (and ghosts), and the strange happenings of a hot hot summer...


A realistic historical that dazzles: 
For my money, Ruta Sepetys is the new queen of historical YA. And 1950s New Orleans is a gloriously rich backdrop for tale of mystery and overcoming adversity and, you know, mobsters...


A book that will break your heart and then put it back together again in the most satisfying of ways: 
Reality Boy by A. S. King
I came late to the A.S. King party and spent the year making up for it (I could put her entire back catalog on this list on principle). This is her latest, but do yourself a huge favor and just read them all.


I just can't quit these books:  
I know you don't need me to keep telling you how great these books are year after year, but the truth is that they just keep getting better and when December rolls around and Nico asks me to assemble a list of my favorites from the year, Kat and Hal and their remarkable gang of thieves always come out near the top. There is something to be said for always exceeding even the most dedicated fan's expectations, so there you go. Top 10 again.

No comments: