Monday, December 9, 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Did you know that our librarian M likes YA books that feature serial killers? You'd forgotten? Let her remind you today with this look at a new supernatural detective:


The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Confession time: An advanced reading copy of this book came across my desk a few weeks ago and for some reason I thought it was about teens with paranormal powers who solve mysteries. So, not having much interest in paranormal powers, I passed it along. But then, I read some reviews and realized that it is actually about a girl, Cassie, who has a natural talent for profiling. She is recruited by the FBI for a special program and then there is a serial killer. Do you know how long it’s been since I read a YA serial killer book? Five whole months! I knew I needed to get my hands on another copy of The Naturals.

And, you guys, it was worth it. This is some straight-up fun, escapist crime fiction. It’s a bit gruesome and a bit twisty. It has a heroine with raw detecting talent and a tragic past. And the love triangle parts don’t get in the way of the serial killing! (The love triangle parts are fine, but not really my thing. YMMV.)

For me, Cassie is kind of like Shawn Spencer crossed with Veronica Mars.

I am really good at noticing things
(image used under fair use guidelines from flickr user: Emese Gaal)
 +

One way or another, I'm gonna get you
(image used under cc license from the official VM fb page)


If that sounds good to you, give The Naturals a try!

More serial killer books:



No comments: