Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Last Akaway Week: Tamara Rates a 10!

Today we have our last Kenmore Middle School review before tomorrow's interview with author, Gary Karton. Thank you so much to Ms. Ousley at Kenmore's library for organizing these reviews and to the TAB students for their wonderful posts! Our last one comes from seventh grader Tamara A.

The Last Akaway by Gary Karton

The Last Akaway by Gary Karton is a fantasy book about a boy who upon seeing a hunter shoot with an odd gun gains the powers of the Akaway.  The Akaway is a highly magical animal that can connect kids to their animal spirit.  The boy, Brody Boondoggle, and his friends fight an evil person, Uncle Skeeta tries to stop them from opening a magical portal to Sarraka which is the home of the Akaway and will save it from dying.  

I enjoyed this book very much.  It is entertaining and humorous, with a great blend of magic and adventure.  There were also several very entertaining reoccurring jokes.  For example, Brody’s grandmother’s bad hearing kept me laughing as it caused her to misunderstand and interpret things in a very hilarious way.  I also found the occasional clashing of Brody and his older brother Jake to be very realistically written.  I have a brother of my own and we periodically do the exact same things. 

 If I were asked to give the book a rating of 10, with 10 being the highest, I would definitely give The Last Akaway a 10!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also thought that the Last Akaway was an awesome book! I had an awesome opportunity to be a test reader for one of the first drafts. I can't wait to read the second book when it comes out!
-CeCe C.

Anonymous said...

Very good review 10/10 Smashing as Brits would say.

Anonymous said...

Great review! Very interesting and thoughtful view of the book!

nico said...

So great to hear from all of you! We were so happy to be able to highlight the readers' reviews AND the book itself!