Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What Do You Mean You Never Read "Rats Saw God" by Rob Thomas

Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas

Steve York is the kind of guy that principals and teachers don't have time for. He looks like he hasn't slept more than two hours a night...ever. He doesn't turn in his homework. He doesn't care. He's in danger of not graduating.

In order to save his chance for a diploma, he agrees to write his English teacher an essay. The essay is about Steve York. The straight A student with the coolest girlfriend and a group of friends involved in unusual art projects. How did that Steve become this one?
 
Okay, I want to take you back in time. Back to 1997, when your young librarian was a LOT younger and it was a normal thing to have an aol email address. That was when I found this book, the first book I'd really read where the protagonists were in high school AND it was written in present day. These were teens who seemed like people I might actually know and they were interesting and making terrible choices that had real ramifications.  Sure, there are a ton of books now that depict high school life in a realistic way, but in 1997, this book basically rocked my world.

Also, this was the first book I'd ever seen where the author had an email address in his bio. So, I went online,  (which meant using aol by way of a dial up modem) and sent Mr. Thomas a letter, telling him how much this book meant to me. AND HE WROTE BACK TO ME- It was basically the most amazing thing that had ever happened to me. Not only that but it possibly set me on a literary path of loving books and writing reviews that has led me to becoming the librarian I am to day.... 

Of course, a couple of years later he would go on to write for Dawson's Creek and a little show called Veronica Mars (which we've written just a little bit about) and leave the YA shelves behind, but if you haven't checked out this 90s teen gem, I've gotta ask you... What do you mean you never read Rats Saw God?

No comments: