Monday, September 9, 2013

Teen Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


Once again, Cherrydale's teen volunteer Matthew is back with a review of the book that everyone is going to be talking about this fall:

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth is the story of Beatrice Prior, a sixteen year old girl living in a dystopian society in what used to be Chicago. In order to ensure the survival of society in this dark future, every teenager is tested and placed accordingly into one of five different factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), and Erudite (the intelligent). However, Beatrice has a problem, she is tested and is classified as “divergent”, someone who doesn’t belong in just one category. The divergent are considered dangerous and she would be killed if anyone found out. Now, Beatrice must try to survive, choose her path, find her own identity, and unravel a conspiracy that threatens to embroil the city in civil war.

I have heard this book has been classified as a “girl” book, just like most young adult books nowadays can be classified, it seems. Whether this is because of the female protagonist, the female author, or a specific target audience, I don't know. I was, nevertheless, persuaded by a girl I know to read it. In the end, I ended up liking the story. The society was an interesting concept and the whole thing reminded me of The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, though perhaps not as deep. Even so, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games series.

What surprised me about this book was the rapid fire changes in pace, not to give anything away, but large parts of the book seem to swing between romance subplot and violent action. Whether or not this distracts you or makes you enjoy the story more depends on reading preferences. There were some other things which take away from the story, some plot holes, some questions left unanswered, but once again, despite all this: I liked this book, I’ll probably read the sequel, and the third book in the trilogy when that comes out. By itself it is a decent read, though part of it is personal preference (I know someone who loved it and I know someone who threw it across the room when they finished). I think that as long as you don’t go in expecting a life changing revelation or something like that.

If nothing else convinces you, you could also read Divergent if you want to be able to complain about any possible inaccuracies in the upcoming movie set to release in 2014… I probably will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really cool book!