Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Teen Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.

Our teen reviewer Neeka takes a look at a controversial love story.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.

You will be glad to be acquainted upon the introductory dance of lithe text, bleeding an insightfully unusual family situation. As the plot progresses into dark and true sentences, you will become inseparable friends. While you know this friendship cannot continue for long because that last page is quite nearby, you cling, loving it unconditionally before it slips through your fingers with the last line.

Lochan is the oldest of five. Due to an negligent drunk of a mother and a father who skipped town as soon as things got tough, Lochan is the head of the household. His life is not that of an ordinary teen, he's --only 17 and having to deal with being responsible for a toddler, a 7-year-old, and an irritable 13-year-old (And you complain about having to do the laundry at home!). Of course, it would be all intolerable and impossible without his best friend, confidant, and sister, Maya. The two are a team. They would be lost without the other. And gradually, that appreciation and bonding turns into something more.

What ensues is heart-wrenching, earth-shattering, barrier-breaking, taboo-defining. If you’d look up the word “intense” in the dictionary there would be a picture of this book. To be quite honest, I hate this book......for what it did to my emotions. The honest writing will tear your heart apart as the two realize their relationship is absolutely wrong, but still they can not stop their true feelings for each other. It only took a few chapters until I had reached my breaking point: my pulse quickened and I took on that same habit of chewing my lip that the very stressed Lochan had. After closing the novel, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. It has left a mark on me and will affect the way I think. I’m sure the same is true for every other lucky reader who has wandered into a teen section and grabbed this shining star off the shelf.

There were moments when I had to pause the reading and really really think about the message, about what was happening, about the cruel reality of it all. And that last paragraph, right before the epilogue? That has haunted me ever since.

If you’re looking for something to really get you thinking, something that will actually leave an imprint...you’ve found it.And a tip from me, because I care about you, you lovely little bookworm: unfortunately, the library does not yet have Tabitha’s several other novels. I’m trying to get my hands on them myself. You’ll want to as well, once you realize how insanely talented this writer is, but... I saw ‘em first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good! I think I'll read it!