Friday, June 28, 2013

Top 5 in 2013 (so far): Nico Takes the Stage

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
I saw the cover of this book last year and just knew that this was going to be a book that I would love. Sure enough, from page one it found a serious place in my heart. Whether Eleanor and Park are talking about music, comics or deeper subjects, I could read it forever. It's been a few months since I finished Eleanor and Park's story and I'm definitely still thinking about them. This year I've definitely fallen for Rainbow Rowell's writing and I am thrilled that there is more coming from this fabulous author. (see our week of posts)


Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
Ruta Septys is the author of the beautiful Between Shades of Gray, one of our favorite books of 2011. Ms. Septys has the skills of a master world builder, she's just sending her readers back in time instead of to another planet or a fairy world. This is a mystery that could be set nowhere else but New Orleans. Septys describes Josie's world so vividly that you can smell the beignets and hear the jazz coming from around the corners. It's a book that is easy to get lost in because it is so transporting.(see our full review)
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
Jennifer E. Smith has already written the very romantic The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight , which was one of our favorites last year as well as You are Here, so I was eagerly awaiting her newest book and I was not disappointed one bit. This is a fun concept to begin with and setting it in a Maine beach sets the perfect summer tone. But, the best part is the chemistry between Ellie and Ryan. Who wouldn’t want fate to step in and introduce a movie star to a smart girl from the middle of nowhere?

(see our full review)
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong by Prudence Shen and Faith Erin Hicks
If you are a fan of realistic fiction, don't forget to check out the graphic novel shelf. Not only is this a very fun slice of life, but the art is fabulous.I loved this look into the life of the nice popular guy who everyone thinks they can use to their own advantage. Charlie and his friends are some of my favorite characters of the year, most definitely.

(see our full review)
Dare You To by Katie McGarry
I liked this book a lot the first time I read it. But, then I found myself thinking about it more and more after I'd finished it. I love the dynamics between Ryan and Beth, it really turns the bad boy meets good girl trope on its head. It's a romance with a lot of meat on its bones and I'm excited that this seems to be Katie McGarry's cup of tea. I can't wait to see what comes next from her.
(see our full review)

Bonus: Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
I love this graphic memoir, it's funny, smart, beautiful and full of delicious recipes. What more could you ask for? My family members should look away because this is totally the book I'm going to be getting for all the cooks and food lovers. If food is an important part of your life (and who doesn't love a delicious meal?) you should not miss out on this charming book.
(see our full review)

No comments: