Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top 5 in 2013 (so far): Kady's Spectacular Spectacular



We're spotlighting Kady's loves today:


Paper Valentine by Brenna Yavnoff
I called it at the beginning of the year, Paper Valentine is a creepy, original keeper. It's made me want to read all horror all the time (a genre I'm just beginning to explore), I just can't find anything that lives up this tale of best friends, mysterious loner boys and murder. (see our full review)

Dark Triumph by Robin Lefevers
I resisted Grave Mercy as long as I could because I don't usually care for fantasy (Melina Marchetta excepted, of course) but once I read it I fell hard. And I fell even harder for the sequel which, as Katie pointed out in her review, surpassed the original. I just love a good broken hero, don't you?

Winger by Andrew Smith
Some of my favorite books are ones I didn't initially get, but then somewhere in the middle something happens and all of a sudden the book goes from being "eh, I get and respect what the author is doing, but it's not my cup of tea" to "HOLY MOLEY THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER. WHAT? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED." Last year that book was Code Name Verity, this year it's Winger. I can't wait to reread Winger knowing what I found out by the end of the book the whole way through.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Nico is going to spend a lot of real estate (and already has!) telling you about how good this book is. She's right. She's almost always right, but she's especially right about this slow burn romance between two outcasts surrounded by the music and comics of the 1980s. (see our week of posts)

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
Was there any question that this book would top my mid-year list? The thoroughly fulfilling conclusion to the Lumatere trilogy was packed full of what made me fall in love with the two previous books- beautifully realized characters working through the impossible to be together. And Lucien. How I love Lucien.

No comments: