Wednesday, April 17, 2013

OCD, The Dude, and Me by Lauren Roedy Vaughn

After reading Librarian M's review, I immediately put this book on hold. Take a look at today's review and see if you have that reaction as well.
 
OCD, The Dude, and Me by Lauren Roedy Vaughn

Danielle goes to a special school for kids with learning disabilities, but even there she is an outcast. She has wild red hair, is about 20 pounds overweight, and sometimes her OCD compels her to do weird things. At the beginning of senior year she starts a notebook of her essays for English class, “me-moirs,” notes from her guidance counselor, e-mails from her awesome Aunt Joyce, and other important papers and letters she receives. It is through that notebook that we get to follow Danielle through her crush on classmate Jacob, angst about the class trip to England, social skills class, and various other trials and tribulations in her life.

Danielle is a joy to hang out with; she’s funny and honest, and she makes some wonderful connections with people she meets throughout the year. Vaughn has given her the perfect words to describe what she is feeling and how she is dealing with her emotions:

From an e-mail to Aunt Joyce:

“Please just take these feelings I have, work some magic with them, and give them back to me in a way that is more manageable.”

From an essay for English:

“For a long time all my spigots seemed to be turned off. They were apparently rusted shut. Feelings had nowhere to move about or spread out, so they just dried up, I guess. I couldn’t even muster a trickle. I was blocked up and feelingless for a while. But now that I have this flooding gush of feeling about this thing I can’t really expand upon here, I recognize there is just no stopping a feeling once the spigots start to turn. What I’m trying to say is that feelings are very powerful forces. They are spigot turners.”

I encourage you to spend some time with Danielle too! Check out OCD, The Dude, and Me.

No comments: