Friday, March 1, 2013

Teen Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


Our teen reviewer Neeka is back with a look at the first book in Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series (we're pretty big fans of Ms. Stiefvater too). 

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Long time no see, rainbow-faced Internet friends. I stepped out of my comfort zone and read a book I definitely wouldn’t normally read-a werewolf love story. Not within my usual realm of dystopian sci-fis and high school dramas( my not-so-secret love and that sort of thing.) I am now hooked.

You’ve got the basic setup, just originalified (yes, I know it’s not a word): Grace(human)loves wolves, namely the wolves in the forest right in her backyard. Out of these wolves she’s particularly fond of Sam (human/wolf)and his attractive yellow eyes. Turns out he and the pack shift into humans when it’s warmer out, not by will. And when do they stop shifting each spring or summer? Well, one year, poof, that's it. They’re just wolves.

When Sam turns into a human, he and Grace have a relationship. BUT THIS IS HIS LAST YEAR TO SHIFT INTO A HUMAN. Without giving spoilers, I shall state that it’s pretty thrilling.

My favorite thing about this book is that Ms. Mags Steifvater perfectly balances the plot between Sam and Grace’s relationship issues and the whole wolves dilemma, with some perfectly woven subplots.

The characters are amazingly crafted. I have pretty much no complaints about this book. The sequel, Linger, and third and final book in the series, Forever are just as fantastic, but I won’t mention them here because the plots involve spoilers from Book One.

Remember a little while ago I said I had pretty much no complaints? There...are a few. The writing itself is a tad heavily purple-prosed, which some people like, but some won’t.

And one last word-before you go thinking this is Twilight, it is not. There is no love triangle, no  vampire, no abs, no shape-shifting as needed. It’s different.

Thanks for listening, and hopefully finding a good book out of all this.

No comments: