Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Radio Week: A Tribute to Regina Spektor


Neeka's entry for Radio Week focuses on a combination of one of her favorite artists, Regina Spektor and two of her favorite books: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Hello again! I love music just as much as I love reading, ergo music is a huge part of my life (hoo boy, I’m using the word “ergo” like it’s nobody’s business-never really understood that expression, though). When asked to write this post, I found it particularly hard to choose just one artist, because I have so many singers I love, whose songs go really well with lots of different books. Enough backstory, though, my choice is the fabulous Regina Spektor.

I love every single one of her songs, from every album, but for this post I’ll focus on four of her songs: "Samson," "Us," "All the Rowboats," and "One More Time with Feeling."

Let’s start with "Samson."  I love this song because it’s the dissolution of Regina and her former boyfriend Samson. “You are my sweetest downfall/I loved you first” are lyrics that struck me as brilliant. The whole song is awesome and I actually relate it with an equally fantastic novel, The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green. The lyrics definitely have a resemblance to the plot between Hazel and Augustus. It’s beautiful.

Next song: "One More Time With Feeling"

Eerie yet bubbly and delicate, therefore it fits perfectly with two books-It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and (again)The Fault in Our Stars.

Personally, my favorite part of the song is “Try it again, breathing’s just a rhythm/Say it in your mind until you know that the words are right/This is why we fight.” The lyrics are all just so great. If I were a tattoo-y person, I’d get all of the lyrics tattooed on...someone else. But, you know, the essence would be with me.
Now for something completely different(sly Monty Python reference)-the song "Us" is brilliant.
“We’re living in a den of thieves/
And it’s contagious.” 
Guess what song I think it goes with? Yep-It’s Kind of a Funny Story. I think it goes well with Craig in the hospital and his relationship with Noelle and everyone else in the ward.


Finally, "All the Rowboats."
 This song is almost scary, in a way. AH, THE METAPHORS! HOW BEAUTIFUL THEY ARE!
“Masterpieces serving maximum sentences/It’s their own fault for being timeless/There’s a price to pay, and a consequence.”
Again, this goes with It’s Kind of a Funny Story. The song portrays the hospital-perhaps even life itself.

MORE LIKE THIS:

Teen Review: Looking for Great Books (And Alaska)

 Teen Reviews: Not Your Average Love Stories


No comments: