Monday, January 28, 2013

Teen Review: Neeka meets The Ghosts of Ashbury Place

Neeka is here with a rave review of the newest installment in one of her favorite series. Don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to put everything by Jaclyn Moriarty on hold.

There I was, lurking at the Shirlington Branch Library. I came across a novel called The Ghosts of Ashbury High. I took just one look at the book-the word ghosts, the intriguing inside flap, and, of course, the author, Jaclyn Moriarty, who is the brilliant Australian writer of some of my favorite books,The Year of Secret Assignments, The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie, and I knew that this is a book I wanted to read. It is number four in the Ashbury/Brookfield series, a series with recurring characters as well as settings, but stand-alone books(books that you don t need to read in order).

Let me just say that this book did not disappoint. The Ghosts of Ashbury High has a wonderful, slightly complicated(in the best way)plot, brilliant characters, and wit. The story-like Moriarty's others-was told through exams, letters, and other means of writing,rather than a straightforward first person tale.

As far as characters, I was familiar with quirky, hilarious Emily, cynical, devious Lydia, and quiet Cassie, among others. However, some new characters were brought to the table-ones I quickly grew to love. Riley and Amelia, mysterious newcomers to Ashbury, are the sight of everyone s fascination. They re the two true main characters-and my admiration for them skyrocketed rapidly.

There are twists! ah, so many twists! There are turns! There are many exclamation points (mostly these are found in Emily s writing)! I advise you to read The Ghosts of Ashbury High-heck, read all four of the Ashbury-Brookfield books! And Jacyln Moriarty s other books!!(Emily s exclamation points grew on me.)For this book is filled with sheer brilliance and gasps.

No comments: