Friday, January 11, 2013

New Year. New Holds.



It's a new year and time to look forward to the books of 2013. As usual, our librarians and bloggers are already digging in and finding great things to check out. Here's a look at what they're waiting on:

Neeka:
-Wither by Lauren DeStefano: was recommended to me on GoodReads, plus I've read the summary and it seems great...

-Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: praised by a friend. I'm excited to read it.

 Kady:

I've got Small Damages by Beth Kephart (after hearing Katie rave about it) and Kiki Strike:Inside the Shadow City by Kristen Miller (to get me pumped up for How to Lead a Life of Crime

Katie:
Out of the Easy by Ruta Septys and Prodigy by Marie Lu
Oh! And Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter. 

Nico:
I need to get back in the YA swing of things, after all the great books in 2012, I hope these ones will get me going:
Catherine by April Lindner
The Namesake by Steven Parlato

Pat:
I have no idea why, but Endangered by Eliot Schrefer is on my holds list.  I must have read a good review somewhere or it was on a best of list. (Pat, we bet it's because it was a National Book Award Nominee!)

Also, on a much darker note, My Friend Dahmer : A Graphic Novel  by Derf Backderf could have older teen appeal.  The author/illustrator was a school  acquaintance of Jeffrey Dahmer and he mostly addresses how creepy Dahmer got in high school.  From a review:  “There's no graphic crime or murder in this story, just the creepiness of how Dahmer's loneliness and insanity snuck up on him while eluding the adults who should have helped. Backderf's intentionally ungainly black-and-white art underscores the universal awkwardness of adolescence, and the approach has emotional resonance…”  From another review” A small, dark classic.”
Librarian M:

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
Pivot Point by Kasie West
 
Rachel:

Mr. Penumbra’s 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloane and My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf (okay I’m currently reading that one, but the rest of my holds are boring).
  

No comments: