Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

 Allyson plays be the rules. On her post-grad tour of Europe she's the one who stays in at night when the rest of her tour mates are out clubbing. She's the one who knows the itinerary and makes sure her best friend makes it on the bus before it pulls out of the station. So, how is it that she's now on a train to Paris with a boy she just met?

 Something about Willem makes Allyson want to be a different person. A person who is ready to go on adventures and fall in love with places and maybe even people at first sight. But, when Willem disappears, Allyson fears the person she was that day is gone forever as well.

Would finding out what happened to Willem bring that girl back? Is it even possible to track down a boy that you met once without so much as a phone number to go from? Just One Day takes us along on Allyson's journey to find all that was lost.

Sometimes there are books that you know going in, before you open a page, that they are probably going to be for you. When I heard about Just One Day, I had this feeling. It features a girl meeting a boy on a school trip to Europe and spending one day in Paris with him and have you seen my Up All Night list? Have you read our Gayle Forman Appreciation Week posts?

 This book was calling my name so hard that other people I work with and my friends were emailing me about it. It was calling my name for a reason, I read this book like most people read thrillers. What the heck happened to Willem? Was Allyson going to be okay? I had to keep turning pages to find out.

Gayle Forman is one of my favorite writers out there, I love how carefully she describes settings so that it's easy to imagine the train station or the dorm room. I love how family dynamics and the changing nature of friendships have as much weight as the romance because a real life is never about just one thing. If you've never read her books before, I hope that you'll check this one out and then don't forget to go back and take a look at her back catalog. You'll need something to keep you going until Willem's book comes out in the fall.  

Want to read this book with other readers across the globe? You could join in the Just One Day Read-a-thon on January 11th! Find out more by clicking on the image below.



No comments: