Monday, November 5, 2012

Middle School Monday: Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time : the graphic novel: adapted and illustrated by Hope Larson


This post is serious business, Katie takes a look at the brand new graphic novel version of her favorite graphic novel

Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time : the graphic novel:  adapted and illustrated by Hope Larson

Do you have a book from your past that you’ve read at least half a dozen times and can quote at will? You know the sort of book I’m talking about, the one that is never too far from your bed, waiting to inject a bit of sunshine into a rainy day or offer comfort when life seems bleak. The sort of book that could probably be classified as an old friend if we were in the habit of classifying books as such.

If you know what I am talking about, then you may have an idea of the joy and trepidation I felt when I found out A Wrinkle in Time was being adapted into a graphic novel by Hope Larson. On one hand, I was thrilled at the prospect of the familiar scenes of my favorite story being brought to life in a new way. On the other hand, what if it turned out flat and just... wrong? See: the movie adaptation of The Lightning Thief.

As you might have guessed by the fact that I am blogging about it rather than crying in a corner of the library, there was no reason to fear. My old friend is still here, just with a snappy makeover. Seeing Meg, Calvin, Charles Wallace as well as Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which, as imagined by someone else was an eye opening experience. I loved having one of my favorite stories reimagined in a way that was absolutely faithful to the original novel but still opened my eyes to aspects of the story that I’d missed before. Hope Larson’s graphic novel does not so much replace the original as complement it perfectly.

I’ve recounted the main plot points here before, so I won’t bother you with those details other than to say if you haven’t read this classic yet, consider yourself lucky because you now have two brilliant options from which to choose. And for those of you who have been there, done that and share my love, then get excited, because this trip down memory lane is worth taking. It may even get you thinking about what other books you might want to see in new forms.

No comments: