Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's Thanksgiving: Guess What We're Thankful For...

used with permission from creative commons license from congvo.

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, we hope you are all home with your families and getting ready to eat delicious food and give thanks for all the good things in your life. Because we're a library, we are always thankful for books!

Here are the ones that we are especially thankful for this year! 
(Nico's note: there are links to the catalog, when the book appeared on the blog before, other links go to Amazon as the catalog was down when I composed this post!)




Pat:
Looking for Alaska by John Green because in some ways I see that book at that time as ushering in this marvelous golden age of YA literature, for which I am hugely thankful.   

And there's The Absolutely TrueDiary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie because if that book doesn't make you think deeply about identity, alienation, and fitting in and family and love and if it doesn't make you cry and laugh and ultimately fill you with hope, then, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Rachel:
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson - because now I have a book that legitimately made me cry
The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie - guilty pleasure that I can read any time--it's like between-books palate cleanser
Peter Pan with Arthur Rackham illustrations - made me want to be an artist
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time - made me a reader again after giving it up in college

Nico:
Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas- for making me realize that authors are people too and telling them that you like their books is worth your time. And for being one of my favorite books year after year.
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster - for a life long love of love stories.
Honey Baby Sweetheart by Deb Caletti - for bringing me back to YA after I graduated college.

Kady: 
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - This series is single handedly responsible for ruining all men for me.But I am still thankful for Gilbert Blythe, the restrained swoon is magical. I also grab Anne when I'm really missing my best friend, all female friendships should look to Anne and Diana as a model.

Jennnie:
 Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. Although it's a hard, dark book, I still reread certain passages again and again, especially when I'm feeling sad. I'm a sucker for a good reunion scene and this book is chock-ful of them. I also love the hope and healing that the exiled Lumaterans are able to find, even in the darkest places. Because I love these characters so much, I'm also thankful that there are sequels.

Katie:
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater-
Because it reminds me to be thankful for good friends and their book recommendations; because Sean Kendrick and Puck Connolly are two of my favorite characters in all of literature; and because it is the perfect November read (or listen if you are the audiobook type).
  

Happy Thanksgiving to You and Yours from all of us at TATAL and the Arlington Public Library

No comments: