Thursday, October 25, 2012

Teen Review: The Perks of Loving a Wallflower

Our fabulous teen reviewer, Neeka is back with a look at the book and its new movie adaptation!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky

I first read the novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky a little over a year ago. I absolutely adored it, and it’s remained on my favorite books list ever since. I liked Charlie’s sheer honesty, which reminded my in the subtlest way of Hemingway’s writing style, which can only be described by using the word “direct”. The book was, in a word, fantastic. I truly loved every single part. My favorite character was definitely Sam because she’s brilliant, not na├»ve, insightful and everything one hopes for in a friend (or crush)-not to mention she has a very nice taste in music. I also really liked Charlie and Patrick, the poor miserable thing.

So of course I was incredibly giddy to find there was a movie in the works. I found out they were making a movie version in June, and I finally went to see it last night. In the opening credits, I saw it. The tunnel. The famous, wonderful tunnel-in which you feel infinite. I did some research before I went and saw who the cast would be and I think they’re all perfect. I saw that Steven Chbosky himself is the writer of the screenplay which I thought was absolutely great, because the movie has to be as good as the book if not even better. I was correct. The movie wasn’t exactly like the book it was modeled after; the film skipped a few of the more gruesome parts of the book, but added a few scenes, changed some details-nothing too major, just things like that Patrick’s circle of friends (Sam, Mary-Elizabeth, Alice) all know about Patrick’s homosexuality, and not just Charlie. The ending was happy, overall. We aren’t left with a mysterious ending, like the book, not really knowing much, but instead are left with a clear understanding of everything.

I’m not sure which I liked better-the movie or the book. Both were so fantastic. I guess it’s a tie.



No comments: