Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Teen Reviews: Not Your Average Love Stories

We are very excited to introduce our newest teen blogger, Neeka! She's starting things off with a look at three non-romance love stories.

I’m not a big fan of romance(go ahead, you can gasp)and so that’s why I’m a huge fan of these books: not really love stories, but...something entirely else.

The Fault in OurStars by John Green happens to be my all-time favorite book. A tragedy yet a comedy, almost science fiction yet realistic...it’s, in my opinion, about as close to utter perfection as you can get.
In the book, we meet Hazel, a fifteen year old with lung cancer. Hazel, filled to the brim with sarcasm, finally gives in to her mother’s begging for her to go to a support group. Pretty soon she meets Augustus, a boy who used to have cancer, and is now just here for a friend. This is definitely not your average romance. 
I don’t cry a lot. Not even at The Notebook. But this book made me cry. 
This novel grasps you with sentences so strong you’ll be seething with envy that you can’t write just like that: so delicately, perfectly, every word in the right place...I mean, at first, I thought John Green himself must have had cancer. 

First it’ll have you doubled over laughing, then raging with fury, then depressed, then doubled over laughing some more. I couldn’t put it down-and I mean that in a literal sense, I had to take it in the car and sneak it into orchestra. This is a book I truly recommend to every single person in the entire world. 

Not exactly a love story, Thirteen Reasons Why by the lovely Jay Asher, is so much more than that. It’s...deep. The book is about a girl, Hannah Baker, who committed suicide. She has thirteen voice recordings-all on cassettes. Each of them are marked with a number. A few days after Hannah dies, these tapes are mailed to Clay Jenkins. When he listens to these tapes, he finds out that each side is her, talking about a person that ruined her life. Thirteen tapes meaning thirteen people-and ultimately thirteen reasons. 

True under-the-covers-with-a-flashlight material. Even though I finished it the same night I checked it out, it kept me up for almost a week. It’s not scary, really, just...chilling. So check it out. You won’t regret it.

This last one is for the sci-fi fans out there. Tempest by Julie Cross is a well-written novel centered around seventeen-year-old Jackson-who just so happens to have abilities to travel back in time. When Jackson’s girlfriend Holly is shot, Jackson travels back in time two years. In the past, he falls in love with Holly-all over again. Then he learns a big, big family secret: his own father is a spy. Jackson discovers powerful villains, who want to recruit Jackson for their own purposes. Captivating and thrilling.

There you have it. That’s my list of amazing love stories that aren’t really love stories. Hope I found you new reading material!






More posts like this:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Read This, Watch That: Facebook Edition

 

 

2 comments:

Dana Andy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nico said...

Thanks for reading and reposting us! And thanks again to Neeka for joining our band of reviewers :)