Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year, Old Books

Katie joins us today with some leftovers... the best kind, books from last year that she's definitely going to be checking out in 2012.

I mentioned in my “Best of 2011” post that it wasn’t really a Best of.... In large part that’s because there were some major titles that I just didn’t get to before the end of December. No matter how many people told me I should. So before we get too lost in all the fantastic new 2012 titles, here are a few books that I really, really need to read (and you should, too, if you haven’t already):

Legend by Marie Lu
Picked up an advanced reading copy of this one in New York, gave it to Nico, and didn’t give it another thought until all the amazing reviews started rolling in. This is a title for those of us waiting for the sequels to Delirium and Divergent or who just enjoy a good dystopia read.

Where She Went by Gayle Foreman
Actually, I need to start with If I Stay. I know, I know. Maybe there are a few others of you out there who like me just haven’t gotten around to these books? Who live under a rock? These books that everyone just RAVES about. If you’re out there, please raise your hands. It will make me feel better. And then we can read these together.

Life: An Exploded Diagram by Mal Peet
I haven’t seen many reviews of this one, but the ones that are out there have me chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. Boy narrator? Yes! Historical fiction? Um, please. Romance? Check. Potential nuclear war drama? That happens to be one of my favorite sorts of drama.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stievater
This was pretty much on everyone else’s best of 2011 lists, so I feel a little sheepish for not having cracked the spine yet. I avoided it for a long time because after a middle school binge on Saddle Club Books, I’ve never really gotten back into horse books. I really need to get over my book prejudices. Did 2011 teach me nothing? This is one of my top must reads for 2012.

Anyone else already have a list of 2011 titles they want to catch up on in the New Year?

No comments: