Monday, November 7, 2011

Dispatches from NaNoWriMo

Are you NaNoWriMo-ing? Or, in non acronym talk, are you participating in the National Novel Writing Month Challenge? Where, during the month of November, you attempt to write the first draft of your novel? It's a really cool challenge and this year our very own blog contributer, Katie, is taking the plunge. We checked in with her to see how the words are flowing...



And as of Day 2, I feel sort of on track. I even have an idea of where I'm going. Remarkably, just sitting down and actually writing seems to have help me get around some of the roadblocks I've always dreaded in the past. Maybe the best part is that I'm not reinventing the wheel here. Loads of people have done this before and there is oodles of good advice (both on writing and on nanowrimo) out there.

Here is a roundup of some of my faves:
Best Pep Talk: If I knew where you lived, I'd be knocking on your door right now, recruiting you for NaNoWriMo by Stephanie Perkins (although this one from Lauren Oliver is top notch, too)
Best Starter Tip: NaNoWriMo Tip #1: Read 30 Tips from Last Year by Galley Cat
Best NaNoWriMo Advice Columnist: Maureen Johnson
Best General Writing Advice: Not for Robots! by Laini Taylor

And since the Internet likes when we are social, I'm in the market for Writing Buddies.
Find me at NaNoWriMo as katiemariefunk.



If you are taking the NaNoWriMo Challenge, we want to know, how is it going? Give us an update in the comments!

No comments: