Thursday, October 20, 2011

What I Want to Read: Playlists and Kick Butt Girls

Because our teens are often too busy to write me a blog entry, sometimes I have to follow them around with a pen and paper to find out their opinions on things.

This is what I did with C.J., one of our star volunteers:

N: What books have you read recently that made you wish there were more books like it?

CJ: I loved Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson. I loved that it was a roadtrip book (give me more of those) and that it had play lists. They weren't crappy playlists with Taylor Swift and other artists that the author just thinks teens already listen to, but they were full of under appreciated, actually good music. I want things to download. I love books that give me ideas of what music I should be paying attention to.

N: What do you think ought to be the new trend in YA literature?

CJ: I want to read about more independent strong teenage girls who are the main character of the book. I like Margot in Paper Towns by John Green because she did what she wanted and she didn't let boys tell her what to do. I want books with characters like her telling the story.

The girl in Jump by Carbone is kind of what I have in mind. She knows what she feels is right and she acts on it.

I don't think that Katniss Everdeen should be the model for these girls because she's stuck in this love triangle and I think that is what's driving her actions. Girls shouldn't have to always be doing what they do because one boy or another likes them.

No comments: