Friday, June 24, 2011

Why Aren't You Reading this Guy Book? Part 4: What We Learned...


There are definitely guys who don't read for pleasure, but that's true for girls too. However, there are plenty of teen guys (and guys in their early twenties for that matter) who DO read YA. It's been pretty interesting to see what they really think about the covers on the shelves today. We hope you've enjoyed our closer look into this issue and think it's actually pretty eye-opening. Hey publishers! Take notice!

To finish out our look into the minds and thoughts of guys, we asked our panel what they would look for in a book cover:

Guy #1: I think the things that would draw me in woud draw me in, as a male, would be strong, bold fonts or pictures/drawings of boys/men on the cover.  I really like the cover of Nick Hornby's Slam.
 


Guy #2: I like dark colors and fonts. I wish they would have some action depicted on the cover, or at least something that sets the scene. I like the cover for Au Revoir Crazy European Chick, it gives you a sense of what's going on. None of this headless girl holding some shoes thing. At least the covers of the Perfect Chemistry series are attention-grabbing and give me some clue as to what's going to happen in the book. I might not be interested in reading them, but at least they make me look at them.

Guy #3: I really like dark colors, greys and dark oranges and yellows. I'm definitely pulled by the cover and browse by them instead of by titles or authors most of the time.  The random covers with pictures of feet or someone with no head really weird me out. I'd much rather have a cover that has a central image and then a scene behind it. I remember being really drawn by the Warriors series' covers as a kid and a lot of those same traits still attract me.

Guy #4: (our ringer/expert who works in the industry): Hmm, well this comment is kind of my overall feeling, but is especially true for a guy cover: Highly photographic covers of close-up and/or cropped faces almost always make a book look super girly and lame. For a good guy book, I’d stick to more graphic solutions.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

This has been a great series of posts! Thanks for sharing this insight into the scary guy-mind.

nico said...

It was fun for us too! Thanks for reading!!