Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why Aren't You Reading This Guy Book? Part 3

Today is day three in our look at covers of guy books that we would love for more guys to check out.  To get scoop on what guys really think, we've asked our panel of experts to comment on book covers.Today we look at one of our favorites, An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.

John Green has a read on the nerdy high school guy, mostly cause he definitely still is one. This is a buddy comedy and a road trip comedy and it will make you laugh out loud on public transportation. It's for math nerds and dudes who can't stomach quadratic equations as well. Basically, it's not to be missed. So, are guys missing it?


Guy #1: The wildcard is An Abundance ofKatherines.  It has a really clean cover design that appeals to me, but there's nothing that would alert me to the fact that it's a guy book.  The repeated pics of Katherines make me think it's about a girl who's a disguise artist or has cloned herself or has multiple personalities.  Something like that.  

Guy #2:  This is the first book that I might read.  I wouldn't go looking for it, and I wouldn't buy it.  But if it was handed to me, I would not immediately think of whether it would burn hot enough to grill a steak.  It evokes a sense of "The Taming of the Shrew."  So maybe this guy is up against mean ladies who are secretly beautiful and awesome.  The cover still makes me think that it is a girls book though.  When I look for a book to read, and I'm going on cover alone, it needs to be awesome.  The most recent book I purchased solely on cover was "Flight of theNighthawks."  It had assassins on the cover, looking awesome.  That turned me onto a series of over 20 books that I follow to this day.  Somehow, I don't think that "An Abundance of Katherines" would do the same, no matter how many Katherines there may be.

Guy #3: All you need is a big John Green to know this one will be good.  But boys might pick it up because there are a bunch of pretty girls on the cover.

Guy #4 (our ringer/expert, who works in the book cover industry): A good not great cover for a girl book. Based on the cover, I would never read this either, though.
 

No comments: