Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Expo of America: Following YA Authors on Twitter

Today Katie describes our quest to find author Sarah Dessen's whoopie pie truck in NYC and how Twitter helped us to accomplish this epic feat.

Katie and Nico are FIRST in line to eat Dessen whoopie pies,
thanks to Twitter!
Statistics show that teens are not the driving force behind Twitter’s popularity. Most of you probably have Facebook accounts and might not see the point in also joining the 140-characters or less world of tweeting. And until a week ago, I was right there with you.

When Nico and I heard that Sarah Dessen would be handing out free whoopie pies from a food truck at BEA, it was time to face facts. If we were going to successfully stalk Queen Dessen... ahem... I mean find that truck, we were going to need to consult the Almighty Twitter. As an iPhone user, I volunteered to take the plunge and downloaded the app on my phone so we could have mobile access at the Expo. After days of puzzling over a user name (which I have subsequently changed many times), I became one of the millions of Twitterers (Twitterees? NitTwits?), and I began to “follow” Sarah Dessen.
 But then I thought, why stop at Sarah Dessen? I mean, here’s Maureen Johnson and Robin Benway and John Green and Meg Cabot and Eoin Colfer... and the list went on and on. 


By the time we left the Expo and were on the bus back to DC, I was discovering all sorts of cool information--like Maureen Johnson auctioning off an advanced copy of The Name of the Star  and Laurie Halse Anderson auctioning off a manuscript critique for new authors all to support the victims of the tornadoes in Joplin, Missouri. I found out Sarah Dessen has a birthday fast approaching and raises chickens. And Libba Bray is a fan of Dr. Who. I also saw buzz about the new forthcoming books such as Ashes by Isla J. Bick and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

And somewhere in all of this I realized that Twitter is a fantastic resource for following the authors we all love, getting early word on new books, and learning more about the experience of being a writer. For a long list of YA authors on Twitter that you can follow check out this blog post from the readergirlz. It’s a whole new world out there...
To review: Twitter = Free Whoopie Pies. Awesome.

No comments: