Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 in 2010: Librarian/ Blogger Nico Loves Books



I love love love these books and would defend them till the ends of the Earth. That's right, I'm a fan girl.... What can you do?

Let the love fest begin:
The Sky is Everywhere  by Jandy Nelson (see our review here)
My favorite of the year. If you don't feel for Lennie, your heart is probably two sizes too small. It was a book with wonderful language and even better heart. Loved it.

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman (see our review here)
In a year full of vampires and werewolves, Brewster was a character all to himself. I also loved Brewster's angry poetry. This was my first Shusterman, but it definitely won't be my last!

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (see our review here)
I was totally charmed by this book. Anna and Etienne St. Clair's adventures in Paris are too good to be true. This is one that I will be keeping on my shelf to pull out in the dead of winter when I need something bright and warm to get me through.

Please Ignore Vera Dietz  by A.S. King (see our review here)

Vera Dietz may want to blend in to the background, but this is one book that I could not ignore. Vera is one of my favorite characters of the year, because of her hard edge, her drive and her amazing pizza delivery skills. On top of that, how many books give you the point of view of a giant pagoda in the middle of town?

Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz
This book didn't get a full review and in the new year I will definitely fix that. Zach's story of rehab and amnesia following a seriously traumatic event really struck me. This is definitely gritty stuff, but it is also a very human story and Zach is guy who really want to succeed. Also, hooray for a really great ending-- there are so many cliff hanger/cheater endings out there that this one really shines for having such a final and well written ending.

Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales (see our review here)
Katie and Violet are so smart and funny, you will be missing out if you miss them. Quick, sharp and real, this is the book you will want to share with your friends.

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (see our review here)
This book has a laundry list of things to like about it. Lily's optimistic outlook, a pretend pixar film about a stapler, dares, New York at Christmas time, baby tossing... It's fun, it's snappy and it will be one that I pull out at the holidays for a long time to come. 


Split by Swati Avasthi (see our review here)Jace and Christian's story is not an easy one, that's for sure. But, Ms. Avasthi's writing keeps it from seeming at all over-the-top or ever sappy. CJ said that this was one she read early on that really stuck with her, and I totally agree with her.

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend  by Emily Horner (see our review here)
This one is for all the drama nerds out there. Cassie may have been an outsider to the world of student theater, but Horner really captures the crazy, tight knit, off-the-wall community to a T. There's also a ninja musical if the rest of it isn't enough.



So, there you have it, my love fest of 2010! There were so many fantastic books to check out this year. We hope you've enjoyed our top tens (and fives and thirteens). Tune in next week to see the statistics and a final list of what all our bloggers voted for. We'd still love to hear what your favorites were. So please leave 'em in the comments.... Oh! And have a very happy New Years Eve!!!!! We'll see you in 2011




Paris picture from viZZZual.com

No comments: