Friday, December 3, 2010

Look Who's Coming to Dinner

As I was sitting at Thanksgiving, I looked around my table and I thought, here are my friends and family, but you know who I'd really like to have dinner with? Tiny Cooper. Okay, that's not really what happened, but the holiday did get me thinking about which YA characters I'd invite to a dinner party if this was a possibility. 
Who would you invite???
I'm a sucker for supporting characters, so a lot of the folks that I would share a piece of pie with aren't the title characters...

Here's my guest list:

Lucida Sans
from Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser
This is such a charming story and I'd be happy to have Elaine or any one of her brothers at my table, but I have the feeling that Lucida Sans would be a pretty fantastic dinner guest. She might wear a pink beehive wig or some sort of fantastic faux leopard print gloves, which would definitely make for some pretty entertaining conversation starters. But she also has started and stopped about a billion different hobbies- which I want to hear lots more about. Lucida Sans is larger than life and also super good-hearted, what more could you ask for?

Ron Weasley
from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Oh Ron, without you both Harry and Hermione would have no one to snap them out of their moody spells or make them stop doing their homework and have some adventures. I think he'd keep the guests in stitches and the conversation rolling. Also, that British accent!

Wesley "Link" Lincoln
from The Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
If I was inviting Link to my dinner party, I'd better make that I have PLENTY to eat, Link is one of those boys who could polish off a pie by himself. He's (main character) Ethan's best friend, loyal to a fault, if a little flighty. He earns his seat at the table with his sense of humor and also he has musician cred, he can tell of tales of his (terrible) band!


Georgia Nicholson
from The Georgia Nicholson Diaries by Louise Rennison
This one is a no-brainer. Who wouldn't want to have dinner with Georgia? She's hysterical AND clever. Also admit it, you want to learn how to do the Viking Disco Inferno Dance, don't you?



Tiny Cooper
from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Oh Tiny, how I love him! This guy has written his own musical about his life- "Hold Me Closer Tiny Cooper!" If he has enough material to fill a musical at 16, he certainly has enough stories to keep us all interested. He's kind, he's loyal and also funny! And, if things get slow he can sing us some of the show's tunes.
 
Joe Fontaine
from The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Have I mentioned that I love this book? Anyways-- Joe! New kid in town, musician extraordinaire. We need someone to be able to back up Tiny Cooper if he decides to break out in show tunes. On top of that, he can teach us important French sayings. Mais Oui!
Frances Lee
Is the half-sister of Quinn (the main character), and like Quinn I want to get to know Frances Lee better. She is a girl who speaks her mind (even if that mean she kinda has the mouth of a sailor) and drives a green pick up truck. She's tough and spunky and the type of girl you'd want on your side-- and for that, she gets a seat at the table.





Augie Hwong
from My Most Excellent Year  by Steve Kluger
If I have a dinner guest with his own Broadway musical, clearly I need someone who can talk show-tunes with him. Augie definitely has the chops to keep up with Tiny's love of musical theater. He has a website devoted to classic ladies of the stage and screen and he can sing you all the words of "Funny Girl." There is plenty of room for that sort of fantastic-ness at my fictional dinner party.


So, there you have it, my YA dinner party. Who's on your list? Would you be breaking bread with Bella or sharing some macaroni with Malfoy? Let us know in the comments!


image of Ron from Ninidu

No comments: