Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wednesday: What are your favorites in 2010, so far?

If this is your view while reading these picks,
we're jealous.

We're continuing our look at staff picks for 2010 by looking at choices from Lisa, another very knowledgeable Youth Services librarian:


Somebody Everybody Listens To by Suzanne Supplee:
I liked all the references to music and the Nashville setting and the fact that Retta Lee had lots of troubles but persisted in following her dream. I wish there'd been an accompanying CD!

Zen and Xander Undone by Amy Kathleen Ryan:
I liked the relationships between the 2 sisters and between them and the "guy next door" (who was actually across the street), and the sweet relationship of Zen and the yearbook guy. I also liked the portrayal of all the different ways that people deal with grief.

Jump
by Elisa Carbone:
I liked the unusual characters and their serendipitous meeting that set them off on a rock-climbing adventure. I also like the elements of Buddhist philosophy that Critter practiced (even though the word "Buddhism" was never mentioned).






The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson:
I loved the poetric language and the use of poetry in the plot and the characters.

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta:
Marchetta is an amazing storyteller and Finnikin is one of the best books I've read recently. The author depicts many of the horrors or recent history in an imaginary world and manages to forge hope from the horror. Evanjalin is the Platonic form of a leader made flesh (so to speak). Marchetta's people are so real that I was in tears when I read of tough Trevanion's reunion with his highly trained Guard. The ending paints a victory of love and hope over evil and despair.


picture from dotterpeni


No comments: