Thursday, January 31, 2008

What We're Reading: The Last Apprentice

My friend Patricia recommended The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney to me and I read it in one sitting over the weekend. It's really spooky and you totally get caught up in the plot. And the best part is, it's part of a series so there's more action to come. Here's what she had to say about it:

I hate scary books. I really do. But I make myself read one every once in a while because I'm a librarian and it's my job to recommend books to kids. And some kids like scary books. If you're one of them, you should read this book. If you don't like scary books, stay far, far away from this one.

Thomas Ward is the 7th son of a 7th son, which means he gets the job of working as the apprentice to Old Gregory, the Spook whose job it is to keep the villagers safe from all manner of ghosts, ghasts, boggarts, and witches. It's not a particularly fun job, and 29 apprentices before Tom have tried and failed, but as Tom begins to understand-- someone's got to do it.


And it might as well be him.

What does he have to do? Well, I don't want to frighten anyone here, and I don't really want to remember all the creepy things I read in this book. So you'll just have to read it yourself if you want to—and if you dare.


So, Patricia might not want to scare you, but I do!

I can tell you that there are ghosts missing their fingers, maggot biscuits, people buried alive, pig's blood and much much more. If this sounds appealing to you, then read it!

And check out the next books in the series: The Curse of the Bane & The Night of the Soul Stealer.

No comments: