Monday, November 5, 2007

What We're Reading: Bad Ticket

I just finished Bad Tickets by Kathleen O'Dell and let's just say that I enjoyed it enough to keep reading all the way through -- even during my favorite reality show (that I won't name here for fear of embarrassing myself). It was packed with great dialogue, believable characters, some bad behavior, real friendships, and a little bit of love toss in for good measure. Mostly good-girl Mary Margaret and semi-bad/crazy/wild Jane become friends at their Catholic high schools in 1967. Friends are getting drafted for the war, her parents don't understand her, and Mitchell Dunn finally notices she's alive. The cover (left) makes it look a little Britney Spears meets Gossip Girls, and while it is a fun read, it's also a pretty deep book about sticking to your guns and sticking by your friends no matter what. Give it a try and let me know what you think.



2 comments:

pat said...

I'm about a third of the way through Bad Tickets and I'm enjoying it--I definitely want to keep reading. But I don't like the cover or the title. Who decides on the covers for books? I know it's not the authors--I'm guessing it's the marketing department of the publisher. Anyway, I'll get back to you after I finish and let you know what I think then.

pat said...

OK, so I finished it and liked it alot. It's pretty truthful, I think, about how young people experiment with their identities and how they try to make sense of the world and their place in it. Sometimes those experiments lead to growth and sometimes, well, things can fall apart. I liked the way the author portrayed the friendship between Mary Margaret & Jane. It felt realistic. And she did a pretty good job painting the 60's (I have some authority here, alas.) Mostly, I feel like the characters were all somehow scarred to varying degrees and the ending wasn't all neat and tidy, which is alot like real life, no? I still thing the cover and title kinda suck, though.